The Mind Factory is developing a x86 based Set Top Box (PC STB). Work has not yet been
completed, but its not far off now!
Companies will be able to develop their own applications for it such as:
- IP Set Top Box for video on demand (IP STB VOD)
- Streaming Media Servers
- Thin Clients
- Point of Sale Terminals (POS)
- Digital Video Recorders (DVR)
The great thing about x86 based systems are they run almost any operating system, both Linux and Windows are both well supported, even Windows CE.
The downside is cost, they do cost more than similar embedded systems. The upside is extreme support for hardware and software, and the wealth of existing
source code out there already. So if your looking for TCP/IP, WM9, H.264, Firefox, IE, RTSP its all out there!
Available hardware for this STB will be:
- Video outputs of composite, SVideo, DVI and HDMI
- Processors from Intel Celeron to Intel Dual Cores
- 1 - 8G DDR2 memory
- SATA and IDE harddrives
- RF Remote control interface
- 10/100/1000 ethernet interface
- USB 1.1 and USB 2.0
- Blue Tooth
- etc etc
Contact US with your requirements so we can quote on your specific application.